INDEPENDENT STUDIO PROGRAM
The Independent Studio Program (ISP) includes 24 hour access to a studio space in one of our bright spacious classrooms, regular one-on-one critique sessions with an advisor, and an informative weekly group seminar that consists of lively presentations and discussion about contemporary art.
This program is for people who have a diploma or degree from an art school or art program at a university. It is a great program for people looking for feedback and who want to develop a professional practice or prepare an application for a Masters of Fine Arts degree. Over a period of two semesters (Fall and Winter), each ISP student works with an Advisor who offers critical feedback, technical support and general guidance in the realm of becoming a professional artist. Activities such as individual and group critiques, guest lectures, and gallery visits are consistent features of the program. Students are also mentored in the submission processes for both public and private galleries, granting agencies and graduate schools.
- completion of a Diploma of Fine Arts at the Vancouver Island School of Art or equivalent from other institution (Diploma or Degree in Fine Arts needs to have been completed within the last 15 years); or equivalent experience as a professional practicing artist with exhibition record
- copy of photo id
- cover letter outlining proposed project ideas and goals to be attained over the September to April duration of the program
- 10-15 images (jpegs) of applicant's original work done in the last two years. Images must be a minimum of 640 pixels or 8 inches wide, 72 dpi is fine as long as image width is at least 640 pixels wide. Images can be sent on a CD, flash drive or through a file sharing program such as YouSendIt, Dropbox, WeTransfer or something similar. Include a list of titles, mediums and size of each image (submitted as a separate PDF or Word document). If you are emailing material use the following email address: email@example.com with 'Application Materials and Your Name' in subject line.
- transcripts from institutions where visual arts diploma/degree was attained if other than the Vancouver Island School of Art
- interview with Director
- completed application form with $50 application fee ($100 application fee for International students). Application Deadline: you can apply any time and applications are accepted on a first come, first serve basis (students wishing to apply for student loans will need to apply early to have their funding in place). Application Fee payment can be made by VISA, MasterCard, debit, cheque, cash, or PayPal (below).
|Program Application Fee|
Please refer to the Language Proficiency Assessment Policy
- Independent development of an approved body of work over the course of two semesters (24 weeks) as described in the application proposal (21 hours studio time per week)
- Bi-Weekly meetings with Program Advisor
- Attendance in Advanced Studio seminar
Studio space is of limited availability so people applying for the Independent Studio Program need to apply as soon as possible. A $500 deposit is required by July 31st.
The Vancouver Island School of Art is a Designated Learning Institution registered with the Government of Canada. DLI# O111345278377
The Vancouver Island School of Art is Accredited with the B.C. Private Training Institutions Branch.