INDEPENDENT STUDIO PROGRAM
The Independent Studio Program (ISP) includes 24 hour access to a studio space in one of our bright spacious classrooms, regular one-on-one critique sessions with an advisor, and an informative weekly group seminar that consists of lively presentations and discussion about contemporary art.
This program is for people who have a diploma or degree from an art school or art program at a university. It is a great program for people looking for feedback and who want to develop a professional practice or prepare an application for a Masters of Fine Arts degree. Over a period of two semesters (Fall and Winter), each ISP student works with an Advisor who offers critical feedback, technical support and general guidance in the realm of becoming a professional artist. Activities such as individual and group critiques, guest lectures, and gallery visits are consistent features of the program. Students are also mentored in the submission processes for both public and private galleries, granting agencies and graduate schools.
- completion of a Diploma of Fine Arts at the Vancouver Island School of Art or equivalent from other institution
- completed application form with $50 application fee submitted prior to July 1st (for September enrollment)
- cover letter outlining proposed project ideas and goals to be attained over the September to April duration of the program
- minimum of 12 digital photos of applicant's original work (for students who have not graduated from the Vancouver Island School of Art)
- transcripts from institutions where visual arts diploma/degree was attained if other than the Vancouver Island School of Art
- interview with Director
Provided non-native speaking applicants have met all other application requirements, they will be required to meet with the Director for a Language Proficiency Interview. If required, the applicant will be asked to complete the TOEFL English language test, with a minimum score of 70%.
- Independent development of an approved body of work over the course of two semesters (24 weeks) as described in the application proposal (21 hours studio time per week)
- Bi-Weekly meetings with Program Advisor
- Attendance in Advanced Studio seminar
Studio space is of limited availability so people applying for the Independent Studio Program need to apply as soon as possible. A $500 deposit is required by July 31st.
The Vancouver Island School of Art is Accredited with the Private Career Training Institute Association (PCTIA).